Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Patience is a Virtue.

Wow. I sincerely apologize for such a long tim inbetween posts. ANYwho, this past week has been quite a week! Monday, the 21st, I went with Charlye for a few hours checking out toy stores Toys R Us and FAO Schwarz. We did everything! We rode the ferris wheel, ate ice cream, went through all of candy lands, Jurassic Park, Willy Wonka, Barbie, Star Wars, Toy Story, Playmobil, Hot Wheels and more! We played on the Big Piano at FAO Schwarz. It was SUPER fun. Pictures of memories are on Facebook. Charlye is such a sweetheart. She's one of my best friends in the city. Tuesday was an uneventful day, other than I started a Geology class online. Wooooo...Wednesday was fun. We learned how to make Enchilada Casserole and Chicken Pot Pie from a married couple that live in the penthouse of our dorms. Oddly enough, while I was eating what we made, I started to feel kinda sick...and I don't think I've recovered. It's been almost a week. Thursday I went with my CA and her friend to a Haitian Matter Awareness Conference and they answered questions from the audience. I kinda went just to go...it was kinda boring....Friday was probably the most amazing day of my life. At 5 o'clock I got on the Subway and got to the Lincoln Stake Center by 5:30. With a few of my friends, we saved our seats only 8 rows from the pulpit. At 7pm, Elder David A. Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles entered the room and he and an Elder Clayton of the Seventy did a Q and A with us. It was PHENOMENAL. I felt so peaceful, so happy, my eyes were WIDE open as I hung onto every word he said. I was in awe. He spoke about so many things but just seeing him in person made my life! When it was over, I quickly walked up to the pulpit and as I approached him, I didn't know what to say. So I said, "Hi Elder Bednar. Thanks." really quietly and then thanked Elder Clayton as well. I walked off the pulpit and the huge line to shake his hand began to form. I started crying. I could not stop. I cried through the entire meeting and then some. I hung around for about an hour or so. I didn't want to go to the Ice Cream Social and I didn't want to go home. Eventually, everyone left and Elder Bednar was still by the pulpit. I walked over to him quickly and said, "Elder Bednar, may I ask you a question?" He shook my hand and said, "Make it quick." I told him about my struggles with dance and how a lot of aspects of my career choice contradict my standards. What should I do? The way he looked at me was priceless. He nodded his head, as if he understood exactly what I was talking about. Because he did. He's never been in that position personally, trying to make it big as a dancer, but he knew and understood my situation. I felt the love of God SO strongly! In short, he told me to read the Family Proclamation and to remember that I have an important role in the plan. He told me to pray about it, wishing the best for my career, but to remember that Heavenly Father will show it to me if I keep on the path. I thanked him, he shook my hand, and left. He was an absolute sweetheart. I adore him. Saturday, I went to the Ivy League Conference and I was the only one there who wasn't from an Ivy League school. We had lunch, pizza, a scavenger hunt across NYC and had a fireside with a great speaker who is big in the fashion industry and LDS. I hope to get in touch with him. In addition, we went out for Thai dinner, Hungarian dessert, and socializing. I met some fun people. Sunday I played in church, as that is my calling in the ward now. Later that night, I went to Carol's apartment. A friend of a friend. She lives in the same apartment that Tom Cruise did in the 80s! Super cool!! We had fun snacking and watching the Oscars with other LDS friends. This past weekend has been very spiritual. A theme kept coming back, and an answer to my prayers. I WANT this. I WANT to work with famous people. I WANT to dance on cruise ships. I WANT to "make it big" so to speak as a dancer and performer. I WANT to get an agent. But I still have to finish school. I need to enjoy my social life. I still need to grow as a person. And Heavenly Father will show me the way. He WILL. He will show me how to balance everything and how to be satisfied with what I want to do with what is expected of me and ahead of me in life. I am so grateful for this weekend. It is frustrating to be patient, but it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment