Friday, January 28, 2011

The Past Two Days = The Epitome of Laziness

So these past two days, I've done absolutely nothing. Hahaha! I've sat my butt on my computer all day either working on homework, watching a movie, figuring out scheduling, or chatting on Skype. I've also been looking into a few internship opportunities as well and talking back and forth with my parents about it. Thursday, we actually ended up with a Snow Day. For any regular college kid, this is the perfect opportunity to ditch school, sleep in, and go out on the town, maybe some sightseeing, laugh with friends. And what did I do? Slept in until almost 10:30 am (I think I'm still on CA time because I'm draggin' every day), got up, watched Daddy Long Legs starring Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron, made lunch, watched Royal Wedding with Fred Astaire and Jane Powell, made dinner and fnished watching until almost 2AM. So, naturally, I skype with some friends and sleep in the next day. I woke up this morning around 10:30AM, I don't have classes today. Got on skype with Mr. Matt Sawtelle around 11AM and chatted for about an hour. I went to "toasties" deli for a sandwich and soda for lunch. I came back and started watching Hollywood Musicals of the '40s. Then, I did a little research on Miss Judy Garland. She is like....the exact same life of Michael Jackson. Awful parents, forced to do things, incredible talent, never quite getting her love life right, and dying young due to all of the pressures of paparazzi, MGM studios, and even her own mother. Due to "prescription" drugs MGM gave her at the age of 18 to make her get more thin, she eventually got addicted to them and rehab did not exist then. With minor help from a hypnotist and because her marriages kept failing, she had to battle it out on her own. Addictions are hard, folks. She died at the age of 47 from an accidental drug overdose, but no one knows exactly why or how, since she was with her husband the whole time. She left behind, I think, two daughters. Liza Minelli, who was also an amazing talent, and Lorna Luft. And one son, T. Luft. Her life was very interesting, yet hard. What I simply did not understand was why MGM even hired her in the first place if they didn't know what to do with her and, more importantly make her change her entire look, including nose discs so her nostrils wouldn't flare (wierd??), false teeth to acheive a perfect smile, and odd ways to make her thinner. Why do all of that when you can just find someone else with plenty of talent and the look you desire? Why make her go through all of that at age 17? That's awful. Anyway, after finishing that movie, I decided to actually do something today, so I spring cleaned the bathroom and kitchen. They were both a pig sty. After which, I had a short phone call with my mom and then performed for my creative practices class at Arizona State via Skype. After that, we are to the present. I am sitting here, eating Mac and cheese for dinner with some water and maybe an apple if I feel like it....watching more Netflix...no plans for tomorrow....or Sunday.....hmmmm...So far New York is NOT what everyone said it would be......Am I doing something wrong??...Well, besides my laziness the past few days....I can't make friends to go hang out with. It's just not working out....

2 comments:

  1. You know... I think I need to take my netflix away from you. You're getting addicted already! I thought it would take a little more time, but you need to get out there and LIVE NY! You're in the best city. I need you to live and love it so you can show me every nook and cranny when we visit together. would you like me to change my password?

    ReplyDelete
  2. sooo, you know, just stalking you via facebook [saw you post the link to your blog and had to click over :)] and thought i'd comment.
    i lived in nyc for a summer internship through byu after i graduated from college and had the time. of. my. life. obviously it made a big difference that i was there with a group of friends, but every "local" i met was so accommodating and kind. i know it's hard and scary, but get out of your comfort zone a little and open up [i.e. tell what's going on] to some new friends at church. i bet people will help you out. and get a good map of the subways :)
    my mom had told me you were doing this amazing semester away and i was so impressed with your talent and drive and ambition. there's so much to see and do in nyc -- even though it's a big crazy overwhelming place. this is an amazing opportunity for you! take advantage of it! hang in there and it will get better.
    xo your long-lost babysitter :)

    ReplyDelete